Last year Mount Carmel diagnosed and treated more than 2,500 cancer patients, and offers countless programs and services that provide hope and healing to cancer patients and their families. Many of those programs are made possible through generous donations through the Mount Carmel Foundation.
Donations are used to provide:
- Cancer Risk Program – Mount Carmel’s Cancer Risk Program promotes early identification, risk reduction and prevention in high-risk individuals and their families.
- Education Programs – Mount Carmel offers a variety of educational programming open to cancer survivors, caregivers and their supporters. These classes provide patients with up-to-the-minute updates on cancer treatment and side effect management, surgery, exercise and nutritional guidance, as well as programs on a variety of other survivorship topics.
- Gentle Yoga – Open to all cancer survivors, this 8-week program supports patients in their recovery by teaching simple yoga practices to help reduce stress, fatigue and pain.
- Look, Listen and Feel Lymphedema Care Class – Open to survivors and members of their support team, this class teaches breast cancer survivors three key ways to prevent and manage lymphedema, a common surgical side effect. LOOK for lymphedema signs and learn how to reduce risk. LISTEN to physical therapists certified in lymphedema care as they explain what lymphedema is and how it can be prevented and controlled. FEEL what it’s like to do manual lymph drainage exercises to help move your lymph fluid.
- Lymphedema Arm Clinic – After attending the Lymphedema Care Class, survivors have the opportunity to schedule an appointment to meet with a certified lymphedema specialist and physical therapist to prevent and treat lymphedema.
- Meditation – In this 4-week course, patients receiving treatment and those that have completed therapy learn meditation practices to cope with fatigue, pain, sleep issues and anxiety.
- Support Groups – Health professionals support discussions and programming for patients and their families for various cancer types.
For specific information about Mount Carmel’s cancer services or survivorship programming, visit mountcarmelhealth.com/cancer.